<$BlogRSDURL$>

4/13/2005

One of my fellow -ists, Jen from Gothamist, is buzzing about The National. I saw the first song of The National's afternoon set for WOXY at SXSW and was enthralled. My dear friend Brandon, who I only get to see once a year, knew one of the sets of brothers in the band (there are two sets) and encouraged me to stay. I would have stayed, but I promised a friend I'd see his band's show so I dutifully left.

Jen posted a link to this player where you can preview their record Alligator, which I listened to yesterday. I'm having an unusual reaction to it. I'm officialy on the fence. Part of it is brilliant, and speaks to me in a way that favorites like Criteria and Shiner know how to do. But part of it irks the crap out of me -- maybe it's some of the lyrics, or the way he sings them, can't put my finger on it yet. So far the like and dislike are head to head -- I don't know what will win out. Frustrating.

I am happy to report that South San Gabriel's new record The Carlton Chronicles: Not Until the Operation's Through is gorgeous. It's one of those records that can take you somewhere if you give it your full attention. I haven't focused in on the cat-centric lyrics yet, but I've decided that whatever inspires Will Johnson to make music is OK by me.
The Dark of Garage mp3
I Am Six Pounds of Dynamite mp3

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?