<$BlogRSDURL$>

10/06/2004

I was just on Jeanette Winterson's website (she's one of my all-time favorite authors) reading her monthly journal. She's going to be opening an Italian deli on the ground floor of her London house -- I'll put that on my London itinerary whenever I finally go there. At the end of the column she mentions having promised to post a Phillip Pullman interview. What I would have given to be a fly on that wall. Winterson's latest, Lighthousekeeping, doesn't come out in the US til 2005, but I'll probably break down and order it online before then.




Go here and watch Sarah McLachlan's video for "World On Fire". (iTunes required) They took the $150,000 budget for the video and donated all but a few dollars of it to these recipients around the world. It makes an inspiring statement about our culture's excesses and how you can help a lot even with very little.




If you've got a copy of this week's Newsweek (10/4 issue) you can read an excerpt from Bob Dylan's forthcoming book "Chronicles". The excerpt focuses on the pressues of overwhelming fame and his struggle to escape the public eye. He describes what happened after he bought a home in Woodstock in the late '60s to settle down with his family:
"Tensions mounted almost immediately and peace was hard to come by. Roadmaps to our homestead must have been posted in all fifty states for gangs of dropouts and druggies. Moochers showed up from as far away as California on pilgrimages. Goons were breaking into our place all hours of the night. At first, it was merely the nomadic homeless making illegal entry -- seemed harmless enough, but then rogue radicals looking for the Prince of Protest began to arrive -- unaccountable-looking characters, gargoyle-looking gals, scarecrows, stragglers looking to party, raid the pantry....I wanted to set fire to these people."
This is probably the first description of fame that actually made me feel sorry for the person, rather than roll my eyes and wish they were more grateful.


Here's an excerpt from one of my favorite blogs, tinyluckygenius aka the Unicorn's tear:
"Last evening, I was graced with the rapt attention of a room full of freshman and sophmores at DePaul, as I have done, yearly, for the last four years. This lecture, I tried to tell them about The Things I Doubt They Are Going To Teach You In This Music Business School For Which You Pay 32,741$ Annually . My main points being: There is no money in this (for the most part), interning is terrible but you have to do it, that things are run by old white men and people who barely like music, that most jobs are just about making people believe what you need them to believe, that you can do what you want - and do it with integrity, but everyone will think you are crazy and you will likely be poor - at least for a while, and that there is terrible sexism and double standards abound in every aspect and facet of the industry."
That Jessica, she speaks my language.

Shopping list:
Click the album cover for an mp3 of "Me and Mia" from Lookoutrecords.com.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?